Institute of Cell Biology National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
Department of Regulation of Cell Proliferation
Head of Department - Rostyslav Stoika, Ph.D., Dr. Sci., Professor.
The Department was established in 1993, and since that time it is headed by Rostyslav Stoika, Dr.Biol.Sci., Professor, Corresponding Member of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. He was also elected as a Foreign Member of the Polish Academy of Sciences and Arts (2002), Soros Professor (1997), and awarded by NASU A.V. Palladin prize in Biochemistry (1986) and R.E. Kavetsky prize in Experimental Oncology (2007). R.S. Stoika has published over 260 scientific articles, 4 monographs and 4 parts of monographs, 3 manuals for students and doctors, got 10 Ukrainian patents and 1 US and PCT patent. There are more that 60 articles published in peer reviewed international scientific journals.
Principal directions of scientific research at the Department:
- Structure-function inter-relationships in the antioneoplastic (in vitro) and anticancer (in vivo) action of novel synthetic and natural compounds of different chemical structure.
- Biochemical and cellular mechanisms of appearance and biological role of surface biomarkers of cells which die by apoptosis. Determination of the role of glycocalyx components in the intercellular interactions.
- Autological antibodies with unique properties (antigen polyspecificity, catalytic activity). Determination of the role of these antibodies in the development of autoimmune diseases and cancer.
- Molecular mechanisms involved in signaling pathways during osteogenesis and myogenesis in norm and pathology. Determination of the role of pttg gene in development and progress of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Mechanisms responsible for enhancement of action of medicines at their delivery to target cells by novel nanoscale polymeric materials. Application of nanomaterials for delivery of nucleic acids to different target cells.